5 Simple Ways to Inspire Your Staff
Whether you’re a CEO, company president, or department head, it’s up to you to motivate and encourage your employees. Your team looks to you for reassurance and motivation, so it’s your job to provide inspiration!
Gallup’s most recent report on the state of the American workplace revealed that only 30% of the U.S. workforce is engaged in their work and enjoy their jobs. The other 70%, Carmine Gallo, contributor to Forbes.com explains, are “not engaged or ‘actively disengaged,’ meaning they hate their jobs or, at best, are unenthusiastic about their roles.” Most of these employees, he says, are looking for inspiration. That’s up to you!
Not sure how to provide inspiration to your staff? It’s not as hard as you think. Here are five simple ways to inspire your staff on a regular basis.
When the busy season arrives, or people start stressing about the length of their to-do lists, encourage everyone to pick their priorities. Select your top three “must do’s” for the day and encourage employees to focus on accomplishing those. The rest can wait until the next day.
Start your weekly staff meetings with a little bit of morning motivation. Show everyone an inspirational Ted Talk (this one made an appearance at an Artisan meeting last year), take a moment to share your top successes and challenges from the previous week, or have a quick stretch session.
Who doesn’t love free food? One of the favorite morale boosters at Artisan is as simple as bringing lunch in. We celebrate with catered lunch at least every one to two months.
Acknowledging birthdays, having baby showers, wedding celebrations, etc., is a simple way to show you care that doesn’t cost a lot of money, especially if you have a small staff. Plus, it’s a great way to support local businesses in your community when you shop local for lunch.
Can’t afford to spring for lunch once a month? Bring in donuts and coffee one morning, or celebrate the birthday of your business instead.
For the past three years, Artisan has been ranked among the top 2% of staffing agencies nationwide by Inavero. That’s thanks to the amazing Talent Representatives, Account Managers, and office staff on our team. When awesome things like this happen, it’s time to take the staff out to celebrate!
Win an award, book a big client, come in under budget…use it as an excuse to take your team out. Host a happy hour at a local restaurant, or underwrite a cooking class or a brewery tour.
Perhaps the simplest way to inspire your staff is to encourage them to take time for themselves. In the U.S. last year, 42% of employees did not take ANY of their allotted vacation days every year. Vacation is essential for productivity, creativity, and happy employees.
According to CNN, taking a vacation “can increase performance by 80%.” Even crazier, says Business Insider, “another study showed that 91% of senior business leaders know that their employees are less productive when they don’t take time off.” Time off boosts workplace morale, retains employees, and even has health benefits, so it’s up to the senior staff to set a good example by actually taking their vacation days. Take time off throughout the year and encourage your employees to do the same.
Do you inspire your staff? If you already do, bravo! If not, try these five suggestions for a happier, healthier, and ultimately, more productive team. Then take to Twitter and let us know how they went using #InspiringBetterLives.
Brian Bar, Founder and CEO of Victory Lap, has an extensive background leading and training entry-level sales talent. He was the former Vice President of Sales at ThinkCERCA, and the creator of Groupon's sales onboarding department, where he managed over 400+ new hires. Brian believed so strongly in the Victory Lap mission, he decided to leave a great job in order to start it, all while preparing to become a first-time father. Both baby and company are happy and healthy six months in.
Bejan founded Artisan Talent in 1988 with only a great idea and $1,000 in his pocket. Now he’s proud to say that Artisan has been inspiring better lives and matching talent with the perfect jobs and clients not only in Chicago, but also in New York City, Indianapolis, Washington D.C., Denver, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.